Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Is this my country?

Okay...I just have to repeat something I heard because it's so f*ing stupid.

I work around a bunch of ignorant rednecks. They blow half the day pontificating about the most stupid shit.

They just came back from lunch talking about Star Wars. They're like a bunch of kids - whistling, humming the music - talking about it like it's real, how the weapons systems work, Darth Vader's powers, etc. I mean, I'm talking about guys who are well into their thirties and forties.

Let me just say that I don't think I've heard such banal talk since high school, which is about right, because these guys stopped maturing at about that age.

So, they're talking about the Death Star. They're saying that the big ships of the empire couldn't blow up a planet, but the Death Star could because it was designed for that.

And then, one of those assholes says, "Yeah, that's what we should've done to Iraq!"

4 Comments:

At 5/25/2005 01:37:00 PM, Blogger The Author said...

I hope you weren't in the middle of sipping a drink when he said that. I swear, I can't get over how some people just lump everyone in a country together. And if you're going to do that, at least do it to Saudi Arabia; actual hijackers came from there--only nineteen out of millions, but still, apply your dismal logic to the right country. A friend of mine, sad to say, before the Iraq War, said, "I think we oughta go over there and kick some ass"--as if most of the people getting killed wouldn't be mothers and their children, along with umpteen conscripted soldiers who just want a decent meal and a bed.

 
At 5/26/2005 04:34:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Same goes for Afghanistan. I once heard a retort, to those who said we should "nuke" Afghanistan, that after a brutal war against the Soviets and a Taliban theocracy, the country had already been nuked.

The attitude that the United States should periodically just go kicking around third world countries to reassert itself as a world power, and to crush movements for independence, truly reveals the nature of evil - and the misguided, evil intentions of a large number of people who claim to live by the same constitution as do we.

 
At 5/26/2005 07:20:00 AM, Blogger WTOTW said...

Reminds me of when a colleague and I conducted a survey that asked people what they thought about other countries. Most disturbing response (though not the only one in that vein): Some of them need to be bomb-slapped.

 
At 5/26/2005 08:38:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I hate to say it, but it seems like it's time for the United States to be humbled again by a nation more its own size.

Of course, if my co-workers are right, the U.S. will turn to civil war first. Remarkable! I keep saying I know things are bad, but we still have to keep faith in the system we have to resolve our differences peaceably.

It's no use. The right wing wants blood. I believe they really think that killing is the only way their arguments will prevail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home