Saturday, February 25, 2006

Parade photos


Muses



Krewe d'Etat


I can't think of anywhere else where the irreverent and the tragic are combined with such festivity -- only in New Orleans!

These are the Mardi Gras parade photos I have to date. I'm just uploading them wholesale. Some of the bad ones are interesting to look at.

Once again, Muses rules! It's the krewe that has the most fun, delivers the most fun, and has the best throws. Okay, I love Krewe du Vieux just as much, but it's in its own category.

The Hermes floats this year were gorgeous. Unfortunately, I was saving film for Krewe d'Etat, so I can only refer you to other photos (nola.com for example).

The Mystic Knights of Chaos had some great political floats (no photos -- I was on the parade route talking to people), but the best catch was a deck of cards that have a graphic of the floats on one side, and an explanation on the other.

Like Chaos, Krewe d'Etat had a bunch of great political floats. Pictures don't do the floats justice -- there's just too much detail on them, and each float was led by a sign carrier with messages like "It's your problem now Houston."

One of the things I was happiest to see was the MAX marching band and dance majorettes. MAX is a post-Katrina combined group that includes St. Mary's, St. Aug., and Xavier Prep. No parade is worth anything that doesn't have a great high school marching band -- and the St. Aug. marching 100 is the best -- although I'm not sure there were 100 of them this year. Here's a little video of them marching by.

7 Comments:

At 2/25/2006 05:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the MAX get ready the other day before a parade. I broke down in tears for a few moments. Just could not keep it in. It was the proudest I had felt in a while for my city and hope for it's future.

 
At 2/25/2006 08:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schroeder - the cards are awesome!! Wild!

Thanks SO much for sharing. I'm really hating not being there...

 
At 2/26/2006 08:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true that only in New Orleans would you see the irreverent and the tragic combined with such festivity! What a great place it must be, still.

Mixter

 
At 2/26/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Man, keep those cards in a safe place! One day those things will really be a treasure.I know that sounds terribly cavalier of me, but I mean it in the best possible way. Sorry Schroeder, my motor skills are tip-top today, but my thoughts are all screwed up.I really did mean it in a good way.

 
At 2/26/2006 03:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics. Two of my three boys are there, but I haven't heard from them since Friday (no big surprise there!). I've been watching the parades online intently.

I found a great interactive map that corresponds to the sediment map you have posted below. For a very short time the T-P linked to it (I think it was in the Dallas Morning News). I have it bookmarked on my computer at work and will get you a link tomorrow. It's a real eye-opener.

In the meantime, Happy Mardi Gras!!!

 
At 2/26/2006 09:22:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Those cards truly are incredible -- unfortunately, I don't own a set because I was too busy taking pictures to share with everyone, so I'm pleased that the photos are being enjoyed.

 
At 2/27/2006 06:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, it was WWLTV's link. Here is the URL: http://www.wwltv.com/s/dws/spe/2005/toxic/
Happy Mardi Gras!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home