Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Happy Katrina Mardi Gras: Fat Tuesday costumes

My Mardi Gras started out in the Bywater where I was supposed to join up with friends to march in the Krewe of St. Anne. I never found my friends, but as is always the case on Mardi Gras, I ran into lots of other friends, had incredible, serendipitous reunions with friends and acquaintances I haven't seen in years, and even ran into friends who left town but were back in New Orleans to celebrate -- and, I made some new friends.

That's the Mardi Gras I like to celebrate -- with friends and family. Did I get drunk? No -- it's not necessary. I had a mimosa, a bloody mary, and a beer for the entire day.

There were many fewer people in the French Quarter than in years past, but it was still crowded. Some years it's impossible to even move through some streets (like Bourbon Street).

The mood was the best I've ever experienced -- everyone was remarkably friendly and conversational -- and other people I ran into made the same comment.

I only wish there were more satirical political costumes, but like me, people have probably just been too busy to get their costumes together.

Me? I wore a tyvek suit that said "Make levees! Not war!" and a blue roof which had written on one side "F: The president," and on the other side "'Whatever the cost': 1) Full compensation to all owners and tenants for damages. 2) Coastal restoration now. 3) Cat 5 storm protection now." I didn't get a photo of my costume, so if anyone out there got one, I'd appreciate if you'd send it to me.

My initial idea was to wear a bead-throwing penis, wear a prison-striped tyvek suit, and wear a sign that said "Blow to impeach." Well, after three iterations of the penis cannon, I could only get the smallest beads launched about ten feet on a good attempt, so I gave up the idea. Later, I found a bubble gun and thought that would have been even cuter, but the damn thing didn't work. Then I considered that if one of those national cameras caught my costume, I'd much rather they broadcast the message about what New Orleanians are demanding from Washington, than that I be able to launch beads or bubbles from a penis cannon.

Happy Katrina Mardi Gras!











More at Yahoo photos.

9 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Editor B said...

Well I'll be -- I ran into you and your tarp as we crossed Elysian Fields, I think. But since we've never met and I have no idea what you look like, I didn't know it was you. And of course I still don't know what you look like because all I remember is the costume!

Abbreviating to F showed remarkable restraint.

 
At 3/01/2006 01:16:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I was thinking of his grade, but yes, restraint was required.

And you were dressed as ... ?

 
At 3/01/2006 02:39:00 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Um, I might have walked past you as well over by Cafe Brasil/DBA...damn, wish I would've gone up and said hello, or thanks, or whatever. I noticed your hat/sign and the numbered points reminded me of a few of your posts...but then my sober side kicked in (only had a couple of drinks because I was driving) and I thought to myself "ah, probably just a coincidence."

Also, I wasn't costumed [hanging my head in shame]...nor did I bring a camera--damn.

Glad you got a shot of the large mask in Jackson Square--my sister noticed it and spoke briefly to the creator.

Also liked the very well-tailored blue tarp suits (also saw them on Frenchmen St.) and the UPS "what has Brown Done to You" uniforms.

 
At 3/01/2006 02:56:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Sorry I missed you Michael. I should have tagged the roof hat with the PGR url. I would have liked to spend some time ranting with the rest of you -- maybe we could have started the secessionist movement and found a nice wall for traitors of the cause and enemies. HA!

 
At 3/01/2006 09:54:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Not to ruin everyones Mardi gras Mood,but have you seen this report yet??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060302/ap_on_go_pr_wh/katrina_video

 
At 3/02/2006 07:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there to see it all. *sigh*

Steve, is it just me or is the URL not working?

 
At 3/02/2006 07:56:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Thanks Steve.

Click here for the hyperlink sophmom.

 
At 3/02/2006 09:17:00 AM, Blogger Jason Brad Berry said...

right on....i had a great one too. There was an amazing sense of brotherhood in the air...I was in Marginy most of time and it was quite amazing.

Lent is upon us now though....I'm giving up crooked politcians for upcoming April elections.

 
At 3/02/2006 09:49:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Sorry bout that sophmom (& everyone else) for some reason my computer didnt paste it all on there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home