Saturday, August 20, 2005

Favorite swimming holes

A story on secret swimming holes appeared in the the NY Times on Friday. To Wisconsin readers of PGR who might be curious, I might let you in on a limestone or lannon stone quarry I used to frequent in Mequon when I was a kid riding around on two wheels.

I'm not sure how I feel about letting the whole world know where your favorite swimming spot is because once everyone else knows it's no longer secret, nor private. Nevertheless, the Swimming Holes web site has a map with listings of favorite spots to cool off.

4 Comments:

At 8/21/2005 05:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can delete those spammers, Schroeder.

Regarding the swimming hole staying private, it's not like you're going to drive up to Mequon for a swim any time soon, I imagine.

Mixter

 
At 8/21/2005 06:13:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Right, but other people would probably rather not let anyone know about it.

The quarry is across the railroad tracks (leave a penny), from Cedarburg Road at Highland. I'm pretty sure it's the smaller body of water.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mequon,+wisconsin&ll=43.252392,-87.984524&spn=0.029991,0.060176&t=h&hl=en

Mind you, this is private property, and, because it's a quarry, there may be some things underwater. Someone once said there was a crane down in the hole. I never saw it, but one can't be too careful.

By the way, the hill on the east side of Cedarburg Road is a great one for tobogganing - nice bumps when it gets icey.

I'm a little unsure of the map. IF I were to return, the hill would be my guide.

I should also mention another favorite swimming hole and park - this one public: Lannon Park.

Nice blue gill fishing for the kiddies there as well.

 
At 8/21/2005 06:13:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

And what is up with the spam?

 
At 8/21/2005 04:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno about the spam. I only got hit once so far. It seems like Blogger is susceptible for some reason, as I haven't seen it on other blogs.

Oh well, the price is right with Blogger.

Mixter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home