Thursday, August 25, 2005

Style question: Italics

Readers will find a few English style references in the blogroll. I try to adhere to respected standards.

Recently, I've been unsuccessful trying to find an answer to the question of whether the names of blogs should be italicized when in cited in writing. I tend to think they should, just like the names of newspapers and periodicals should be italicized.

Unfortunately, the online style guides I've searched don't mention how blogs, or names of web sites, should be handled.

There's an interesting (if not very helpful) discussion at the Fire Ant Gazette (or is that Fire Ant Gazette).

Does anyone happen to have a good answer?

7 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 12:09:00 PM, Blogger oyster said...

I hope y'all can forgive the many rules I violate on a continuous basis over at YRHT. I know it can get pretty shoddy sometimes.

OT: Schroeder, I think you might like some of the articles referenced here, if you haven't already seen them.

 
At 8/26/2005 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

oyster, no luck with the link.

 
At 8/26/2005 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

suspect device, thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I guess in my haste I said capitalize, when I really meant to say instead italicize.

Should a blog name be italicized in the same way that a book or periodical is capitalized.

I just corrected the post.

 
At 8/26/2005 02:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that you should always provide a link (i.e., Mixter's Mix) if you're blogging. If you're writing with some other medium, I would think it would be caps and quotation marks or italicized. I guess there's really no set etiquette at this point.

Mixter

 
At 8/26/2005 04:08:00 PM, Blogger oyster said...

http://www.chriscmooney.com/blog.asp?Id=2084

 
At 8/26/2005 07:07:00 PM, Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

I agree with Mixter.

I felt compelled to comment here because this may be my only opportunity to type the foregoing sentence.

I think the hyperlink takes care of all formalities of style, at least when it is on a webpage.

 
At 8/28/2005 03:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Gnat, there are probably other things on which we agree.

You can't be ALL bad... ;)

Mixter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home