Monday, January 23, 2006

Make levees, not war

It was something I've been thinking about doing for months. Everytime I saw some another car with a "W" sticker on it, though, I felt like I had to demonstrate my continued pride in the way I voted in 2004.

My thinking was, I'll take my bumper sticker off when everyone else admits the mistake they made, and removes theirs. It does raise an interesting question that a friend Nick once suggested: When should one remove their Bush/Cheney, or Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers, and what's the point of leaving them on.

Well, it just happened this past weekend. I saw Kerry on one of the Sunday talking head shows, and I decided he was no longer my candidate. I'd moved on, and other issues have now eclipsed the election (like impeaching Bush, and getting resources to New Orleans).





Yes, that thing in the pickup bed is a little Noah's ark I picked up in the street in the Lower Ninth Ward.

5 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 04:57:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Ok Schroeder,
Don't think you can post this and NOT tell us where we can also get that bumper sticker!

 
At 1/24/2006 07:25:00 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Hey Schroeder--

I feel you, friend. The "W" stickers are prolific around here, Birmingham. People love to suckle at the Bush teet...W, W Still the President... so many variations on a lame theme. Of course, I had my Kerry-Edwards sticker on my car until some jerk tore part of it off, instigating an editorial from me that was published in our local Sunday paper, which, in turn, resulted in handwritten, no return address, actual HATE mail for me!! Can you believe that? I expected replies in the paper, but a personal handwritten threat...it was momentarily frightening, but then it became utterly laughable. After finally recovering from the election results sometime this summer, I had decided that I was going to keep my new used car free of bumber stickers all together (except for my Apple sticker and my blue dot sticker, www.britebluedot.com), but when Katrina happened and Bush sat on his ass for days on end while the most horrific things Ihave ever seen in my life were unfolding in my favorite place on earth, I pulled out a sticker I bought on Cafe Press during the elections and finally slapped it on my car. "F the president," a play on the "W" stickers. I was pissed. I'm still pissed. Now my car is once again plastered...F, Renew Orleans, Make Levees, Not War, My Heart's in New Orleans, and well, "When the Rapture Comes, Can I Have Your Car?" because that one just make me laugh...

Thanks again for all your work -- it keeps me aware and motivated.

Peace-
tara

 
At 1/24/2006 08:54:00 AM, Anonymous Chuck said...

Yeah bra, where ya got dem bumpa stickas at?!

 
At 1/24/2006 09:08:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Ooops.

The best place to go that I know of is Cafe Press:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/search/search.aspx?cfpt2=&copt=&source=searchBox&cfpt=76%3A________F______P___b7_a2_H&q=make+levees+not+war&x=0&y=0

I've touched on the bumper sticker topic before:

http://peoplegetready.blogspot.com/2005/11/new-orleans-memorabilia.html

http://peoplegetready.blogspot.com/2005/11/happy-thanksgiving.html

http://peoplegetready.blogspot.com/2005/12/more-new-orleans-bumper-stickers.html

And then there's this:

http://www.proudtocallithome.org/

Tara -- I feel your pain.

I love the 'F' sticker. There's also the 'M: Moron' sticker. Yep, the rapture sticker made me laugh too. Nice.

 
At 1/24/2006 03:51:00 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I'm with you. I get exhausted every time I see one of those damned stickers (can you say "sore winners"?).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home