Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Clarence Gatemouth Brown, R.I.P.

I made an effort not to miss what was suggested to me might be one of his last performances at a concert in Lafayette Square -- only in New Orleans.

Jazz funeral for Clarence Gatemouth Brown:

A jazz funeral for R&B legend Clarence Gatemouth Brown, who passed away late last year, has been scheduled for this Saturday, February 25. The procession will begin at 1:00 pm at Jackson Square, and parade through the French Quarter, ending at Cemetery Number One.

The Wednesdays in the Square concert series will continue this year, April 5 through June 21.

4 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Edie said...

Hey Schroeder. I tagged you to answer some questions. Some are a little silly, but I'm sure you'd give some good responses. If you feel like it, of course!

 
At 2/23/2006 07:37:00 PM, Blogger Tim said...

I saw Gatemouth at that Wednesday at the Park gig. Delbert was there to do the singing, and Gatemouth hardly played as he sat in a chair. That's the way I want to go--in the game until the last tick of the clock.

Peace,
Tim

 
At 2/23/2006 09:31:00 PM, Blogger Frank Partisan said...

I found this blog because of Edie's plug.

Gatemouth accomplished everything one person can do in roots music, except find a national audience in USA. He toured often here in the Midwest.

 
At 2/24/2006 05:34:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

You're right -- he didn't do much on stage. Really at the end it seemed, and it seemed courageous for him to be on stage at all. But when he did play, I was as impressed as ever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home