Sunday, April 16, 2006

You gotta get the plasma

I'm sitting in a coffee shop on Magazine Street.

Rob Couhig just walked in and is introducing himself to everyone as Rob Couhig -- as though people wouldn't recognize who he is. I don't really think on my feet fast enough to say anything -- or didn't really care. I'm supporting Mitch. I didn't really want to talk to Couhig. Missed opportunity?

People might not know who he is, given the conversation I'm overhearing. People are more interested in the merits of different kinds of plasma televisions.

Meanwhile, an infant daughter cries incessantly in her high chair.

2 Comments:

At 4/16/2006 11:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shroeder, if you're wondering why I've been here so many times today (if you watch such things), it's because I'm surfing via your gutter (to Realitique then surfing his gutter) and Safari keeps crashing. I'm not stalking or lurking. The last time, I decided to reboot and when I came here via the link in my gutter, instead of taking me here, it took me to your September post Criminal Negligence and I read it.

http://peoplegetready.blogspot.com/2005/09/criminal-negligence.html


I guess it's all come a long way when you think about it, if you're in a coffee shop on Magazine, but I think it's important for all of us, particularly those of us who are not there, to remember those days that followed the storm because the bands of destruction continue to resonate out from the aftermath in so many ways, as the city and her institutions contract to survive.

 
At 4/17/2006 06:00:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

We've come a long way indeed, but we have a long way to go. To varying degrees, a lot of people are trying to get back to normal. That's natural. But is normal normal -- that's my question. What is normal about a society in which the television is an altar of worship? Maybe that's the problem. Maybe that's a significant part of the reason why the political infrastructure of New Orleans was already a disaster before Katrina.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home