Friday, May 19, 2006

La Bandera de Estrellas

I hate wasting my time on this kind of crap -- really -- but I'm driven now to speak up on the Spanish version of the "Star Spangled Banner" ... er, I mean, "La Bandera de Estrellas" -- that's what the United States government is calling its own Spanish version of the national anthem.

Yep, that's right -- Think Progress has the Spanish language version, originally commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education in 1919, as well as a link to the Spanish translation posted on the U.S. Department of State Web site.

So when our own president minces the English language with expressions like this:

"And I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English," Bush said. "And they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

And when the Senate passes legislation directing the government to "preserve and enhance" the role of English, I just have to say, fine, let's start at the top.



Photo: Evan Vucci, AP.

Tags: | | | | | | | |

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home