Sunday, August 21, 2005

The merit of losing causes

Because it's such a great line (which I posted over at Yatpundit), I can't help but repeat it here (with no intended offense to any of my southern friends who have tolerated this ex-patriate yankee over the years):

Southerners can never resist a losing cause.

Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone With the Wind.

I first heard the quote on NPR, but I corroborated it (oddly enough) at the California Sons of Confederate Veterans web site.

I guess that one of the reasons the quote struck me was because I used to be, before I moved to New Orleans, one of those ignorant yankees (as 2Millionth Web Log's Michael pointed out in a PGR comment somewhere) who thought all southerners were a bunch of ignorant rednecks with a confederate flag hanging in the back of their pickups. Now, I've seen some pretty offensive stuff, but there are just as many ignorant rednecks up north. As in the south, most of 'em have just been livin' out in the elements too long.

Meanwhile, thinking about Yatpundit...hey all y'all mudbug eaters, there's a nice discussion going on about crime in New Orleans over here, and earlier, here.

5 Comments:

At 8/21/2005 04:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, Wisco has its fair share of rednecks. They're all over.

Mixter

 
At 8/21/2005 09:36:00 PM, Blogger WTOTW said...

As someone who moved north, I'm happy to hear that your move has exposed you to other sides of the South. I try to hold onto to my accent in part to make people question their stereotypes of that region (though this past weekend someone told me that I sounded like I was from the East Coast, so maybe I'm losing it nonetheless).

I have long since chopped off the mullet, however. And I don't listen to AC/DC nearly as much anymore.

 
At 8/21/2005 10:12:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Yeah, I lost the rat tail and I don't listen to Black Sabbath anymore.

 
At 8/22/2005 10:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rat tail!? ::shudder:: What in tarnation is a mudbug, y'all?

 
At 8/22/2005 04:59:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Reserve time in life, ms bees knees, to some day eat tail and suck head (as some Louisianians like to say).

Mudbugs are crawfish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home