Sunday, October 30, 2005

Believe what you will. Add this to your understanding of the chaos that ensued in absence of a preparedness plan in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. From New Orleans Metroblog:

His first fear was that he would be killed, his wife raped until she was dead and their son left to the non-existant mercy of the crowd. He says personal, violent assault (sexual and otherwise) was common and the crowd was literally held inside the dome's perimeter at gunpoint. He says the National Guard had only an outer perimeter, disregarding what was happening inside because they knew the dome occupants were thousands of people they wouldn't have to try to keep up with on the streets.

2 Comments:

At 11/02/2005 07:15:00 AM, Blogger Maverick said...

see, I don't know what to think about all that. I'm sure there were some isolated cases of extreme violence in those places, but I'd generally won't believe the sensationalist idea that has been put out that this was widespread. What I have a problem with is the of New Orleanians as animals because I know it's just not true, so I don't like to hear untrue rumors spread. I'm sure this guy was genuinely scared though.

Spitting in a Wishing Well

 
At 11/02/2005 07:48:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Yes, I know, I know ... we heard the reports repeated by officials like Compass and Nagin, widely reported by the press, and then later retracted. Nevertheless, the Metroblog post said this was a first-hand account. One has to question what the motives might be of the person who reported the account to lie. All I'm doing is repeating what was reported. Metroblog prefaced the eyewitness account with the following:

"We met up with a family of locals (dad, mom and son about 10ish) and sat on the steps watching the lights of the passing ships and just enjoying a cool evening.

But this is when this otherwise delightful evening started getting, um, serious.

Seems this man and his family were in the Superdome for the first four days after Katrina struck. His account is chilling and, at least for us, it marked the first time we had heard a first-hand account of what went on, unfiltered by the mainstream media (who, far as I can tell, didn't have anyone living in the 'Dome either). I cannot vouch for the truth of his account and I have no independent verification. But this is what he told us....."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home