Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hot showers!

The temperature inside the house was under 50 degrees -- the thermostat stops at 50. No heat. I was cooking on a little propane camping stove. Multiple layers at night. COLD SHOWERS. ICE COLD. I definitely wasn't dilly-dallying. I did definitely learn something about life before water heaters.

Finally, Monday, Entergy came out to look at the gas meter. See, they've been by to look at it at least 5 times that I can recall. Each time I talked to someone, went to the Entergy office, grabbed an Entergy guy off the street, I got a different story. The last I heard, they were going to have to change the meter because it was under water. To keep me from turning the valve on, they fully disconnected the pipe.

So, Monday rolls around. The guy hooks up the pipe and turns the valve on. I say, "Aren't you going to have to change the meter -- it was under water." He says, "Naw. That shouldn't be a problem."

WTF!!!

For weeks, cold showers, soup, MRE's, freezing may ass off!

I try to stay calm, but ... I know, there are people far, far, far worse off than me ... but who needs the aggravation all because of stupidity!

After the guy left, I cranked the water heater, and took my first hot shower in weeks.

Thanks to Katrina Chronicles for reminding me to post the story.

3 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 09:27:00 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Congratulations on having heat/hot water...damn, civilization really turns on stuff we usually take for granted.

Cold showers suck--even in summer. A couple of years ago I helped someone move...um, I forget the starting point, but the destination was Magazine St. The hot water heater wasn't working at the new place, and even though it was July, it was freaking painful.

A government that actually gave a rat's ass would be commandeering crews, trucks, etc.,--ok, at least offering BIG money for any qualified volunteers--and working overtime on restoring infrastructure. Hmmmm...

Maybe New Orleans could temporarily change its name to, oh, I don't know, how about "Iraq," or "Baghdad." That might light a fire, no pun intended.

 
At 11/30/2005 11:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think of all the reconstruction that would come your way, hey Michael?

God, that shower must have felt great.

Mixter

 
At 11/30/2005 02:08:00 PM, Blogger Maverick said...

Glad you got some hot water, finally. I didn't even know that you were without.. is it electricity, too? Hope things get better soon.


Stacie

Spitting in a Wishing Well

 

Post a Comment

<< Home