Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve bonfire is a go

The annual New Year's Eve bonfire on the neutral ground in Mid-City at Orleans and Carrollton compares to the peaceful anarchy of the Burning Man project, although on a much smaller scale, people do keep their clothes on, and there's no music ... although there are quite a few hippies. Friends and neighbors have been celebrating the passing year by throwing their Christmas trees onto a bonfire every New Year's Eve for as long as I can remember. It's one of those unique celebrations that one can only find in New Orleans. Note: the Orleans and Carrollton neutral ground is one of the broadest in the city.

Neighbors were saying today that a bunch of contractors cleared away the pile of trees yesterday (probably thinking it was just hurricane trash). So bring your contributions ... ahem, they are not accepting your moldy furniture -- just trees thank you. The fire gets started at about 11:00.











2 Comments:

At 12/31/2005 03:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there last year and I can't find the video from it but trust me. it was insanity. I have a snap shot from it on my blog somewhere.

Side note: thanks for coming by yesterday. Made a shirt for the NIMBY issue.

http://humidhaney.typepad.com/the_humid_haney_rant/2005/12/nimby_aint_nola.html

 
At 12/31/2005 04:26:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Clio said...

You know, I respect the Orleans Ave. Bonfire. I also love fireworks. But every time I go the fireworks get a little out of hand--like going off near my head, my feet, my date's feet, my date's head, etc. Not a way to endure oneself to some ladies.

Still, I'm glad it's back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home