Thursday, January 05, 2006

It wasn't bad. I just went to sleep.

Sago miners left notes for their loved ones:

"Tell all I'll see them on the other side," read the note found with the body of 51-year-old mine foreman Martin Toler Jr. "It wasn't bad. I just went to sleep. I love you Jr." ...

The federal Mine Safety and Health Administration cited the Sago mine for 208 violations of federal mine rules in 2005, a number an agency official said was higher than normal for a mine that size. Those violations included 18 orders shutting down parts of the mine until alleged violations were corrected, but none serious enough to shutter the entire operation.

1/06/06 update: The West Virginia Council of Churches is accepting donations for miners' families through the Sago Mine Assistance Fund. There's a story that mentions the fund on DisasterNews.net.

3 Comments:

At 1/06/2006 07:55:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Breaks my heart to read about them, they got the shaft (no pun intended) their entire lives so corporate America can carry on. Is it just me, or can you feel a sort of connetion bewteen them and Katrinas victims? Maybe I havent had enough coffee yet.

Nice blog btw, I linked you in my Louisiana links

 
At 1/06/2006 07:51:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Thanks for visiting Steve, and taking time to comment. Yes, I do feel a connection of sorts, but one can never know the depths of grief that they will fall who experience firsthand the loss of a loved one. I lost no one.

It's a curious amalgamation of blogs you have there. I find them all well done. I added yours to the blog roll here, and will try to check in periodically.

Thanks for the visit.

 
At 1/06/2006 07:53:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Oh ... I failed to mention the connection that most positively exists between Bush's crony appointments to the Mine Safety and Health Administration and FEMA. Absolutely criminal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home