Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Polling places changed for upcoming elections

The Times-Picayune:

Two state legislative committees voted Monday to approve Secretary of State Al Ater's plan for holding and publicizing New Orleans' postponed municipal elections, opening the way for Gov. Kathleen Blanco to call the primary election for April 22, with a May 20 runoff.

She is expected to issue the call today, setting the elections on the dates Ater has recommended. Qualifying would be March 1-3.

The T-P also published a listing of polling location changes

I didn't see my precinct there (14-16) so I have to assume that it's still in the Allen School, 5625 Loyola Ave.

If you don't know your precinct, go the the Louisiana Secretary of State Web site to look it up (ugh, excruciating to navigate the site -- use my hyperlink).

Since Nagin's chocolate city comments last week, the buzz about who might run against Nagin is getting louder, with Mitch again on record saying he's been thinking about it.

I have to say I was disappointed that the Times-Picayune printed a front-page story on the merchandising of Nagin's blunder, but offered nothing about what the attitudes are of people buying the merchandise, nor any comment from anyone who's concerned (as I am) that the merchandising is tasteless profiteering and that the continued image of racial division in New Orleans that the merchandise promotes might hurt the city's prospects of recovering from Hurricane Katrina's devastating blow.

5 Comments:

At 1/24/2006 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Jason Brad Berry said...

Mitch is gonna run for Governor, not mayor. bet on it.

 
At 1/24/2006 01:09:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I've been thinking that's what he's waiting for -- the recall that is.

 
At 1/24/2006 03:45:00 PM, Blogger The Author said...

Thanks for that. I have to walk an entire half a block to get to my polling station. Life is so unfair!

 
At 1/24/2006 06:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as the merchandise - I bought a shirt as an investment. 20 years from now, sell it on ebay...

 
At 1/24/2006 08:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm buying a shirt because I think New Orleans should be a mixed city, as it was before. Sure, not the most appropriate way to say it, but that's what the chocolate comment meant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home