Tuesday, February 07, 2006

WWL Audio Blog

I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by the slipshod, opinionated remarks made by WWL hosts lately. When we needed to call out politicians who weren't looking out for the best interests of residents in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, people like Garland Robinette weren't afraid to take them to task.

I'm disappointed now, however, by what I think is a failure by WWL hosts to ask tough questions about issues (or to think of them) if those questions contradict their own views. I once heard Spud McConnell quip that "politicians" should have supported Nagin's idea to turn Mid-City into a Las Vegas strip. Well, that wasn't a very popular or well-thought-out idea. The Baker bill -- another example -- is being covered as though it's the best plan for New Orleans.

I disagree.

I think we should at least ask Congressman Baker why 60 percent is the magic number -- why not 100 percent compensation to homeowners? By the way -- despite repeated attempts to have Congressman Baker's office answer that question (including an email), I still have no response two weeks later.

Nevertheless, there is almost no better forum than WWL (870 AM/WSMB 1350 AM/105.3 FM) to hear what current decision-makers are thinking about with respect to hurricane recovery and rebuilding. I should also mention that WSMB is back to the midday progressive format, so when WWL puts that asshole Rush Limbaugh on at 11:00, you can switch over to 1350.

I can't always tune in, but I'm ecstatic about finding the WWL Audio Blog (be patient -- it takes a couple of minutes to load these files, so you might want to download them rather than stream them).

2 Comments:

At 2/07/2006 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, hearing Garland Robinette during those weeks after the huricane was a Godsend. I'd buy that man a drink any day of the week for asking all the right questions, even if they ended up being mostly rhetorical questions. I give him an A++ for the job he was doing.

I have to admit to not hearing anything on WWL lately (then again I'm stuck in Fort Worth for the moment, and trying desperately to get back home... it's a job thing) so thanks for the link. I may have to check that out.

 
At 2/08/2006 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Tim said...

1350AM Rocks! Have you heard Springer on the Radio? I wish we could elect him Governor.
Peace,
Tim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home