Friday, March 17, 2006

Can we have the National Guard back?

Someone was telling me the other day that he reported gunshots right next door, but the police never showed up to investigate. He lives Uptown.

The NOPD keeps saying crime numbers are down, but are they? Relative to what? The population is down as well. How do crime numbers compare to other populations of this size? What about those contractors? They're quite a grisly, surly lot some of them.

Meanwhile, ICE is rounding up hispanics waiting around for work in Lee Circle, looking for criminals among them (good), but handling deportation on a "case-by-case" basis. Well that's nice, but aren't they just supposed to follow the law, not interpret it? What's up with that?

What about the hit-and-run that occurred just before Mardi Gras? A man and his wife lived just a few blocks away from Magazine and Cadiz. A guy in what was described as a Large Toyota pickup truck with extra chrome trim went around the block -- went out of his way -- circling to come back around and run the man over. He was dragged and killed at the scene in front of his wife.

Public hanging anyone? How about a firing squad?

I'd guess the guy was a contractor.

So, can we have the National Guard back?

Given the weird, changing dynamics of the city, I'd say we need all the help we can get. I don't care what the NOPD is saying to save face!

2 Comments:

At 3/18/2006 12:42:00 PM, Blogger The Author said...

I hate to say it, since I wasn't fond of soldiers walking around Sav-A-Center with M-16s, but you're right. Plus, I hate the NOPD.

 
At 3/18/2006 08:38:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I really liked those National Guard soldiers. To a person, every one of them I talked to were very rational, nice, not "hurrah" blood-thirsty killers. They were all locals, so they cared about the city. I heard their disillusionment when they talked about being shot at in that first week, but they remained loyal to the vision of a better city, and their role in creating it. Maybe because they sling M-16's, they can defuse problems very quickly. Just doing their jobs. I have a great amount of respect for them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home