Monday, September 04, 2006

The truth in blogging

Valerie Savoie, interviewed in a Community Gumbo broadcast, which featured a reading of Maitri's "Day 337: Inspiration":

What I would like the people around the country to know is that you can't judge a book by its cover. And while I applaud the media in many ways, I believe that there is a tendency at times, perhaps unintended, to sensationalize that which sells news.

So what you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg, and below the waterline there lies a vast, vast picture that you can't have opportunity to see, because people are going about their everyday business, and that isn't the stuff of novels and news. That's just the stuff of everday reality, and the everyday reality of New Orleans is that this is the biggest of all pictures. That people are helping themselves. That they aren't sitting back and waiting for anyone to rescue them. That we are, in fact, in a well-thought and well-thought-out effort to rescue ourselves.

So when the media, or anyone else portrays New Orleans, or similar events that may happen, and will happen, across the country, I hope that we all will remember that we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg, and that the everyday citizen is probably the most powerful voice, because they are the voice of experience. They are not the voice of interpretation, or soundbite. They are the voice of "this is what happened -- I was there."

I really like Spike Lee's portrayal of what happened here, because he didn't have a narrator, if you'll notice. He allowed people to speak from the first person. And in doing so, I think he did a great justice to the city. I think he did a great justice to the individuals who went through the experience. And what better place from whence the truth comes.

Related:
Louisiana blog revolt spotlighted in The Nation

The revolution will not be televised

People are doin' it for themselves

Broadmoor Lives!

On the front lines of WWIII in New Orleans

Tags: | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Katrina Dissidents | Failure Is Not An Option | Katrina One Year Anniversary

5 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 06:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to it, beautifully done.

 
At 9/05/2006 06:27:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

No credit due me -- we have to get Valerie to start blogging.

 
At 9/05/2006 07:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to have a bumper sticker made.."Who IS Valerie Savoie"

We need a few more of her. It is the rare person who can make poetry out of tragedy and not trivialize it, rather elevate the mundane tasks we are all faced with.

 
At 9/05/2006 10:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of backwater are you guys running down there where people can’t even speak and ask questions at community meetings?


what is up with this?

 
At 9/07/2006 10:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to Karen and schroeder.

Karen, you wouldn't happen to be an Ayn Rand fan? Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead...when I was in my twenties, recently, there was an Ayn Rand Objectivism movement. I still have my registration letter and card that fits into a bill fold, about the size of a driver's license. If you aren't an Ayn Rand fan, and don't know what I am babbling about, it's the "Who is John Galt" question that is the beginning of The Fountainhead. Your bumper sticker comment reminded me of this.

Anyway, you both have very kind words. Thanks. It was a pleasure working with schroeder, he knows his art, and is due a lot of credit.

Out of curiosity, what's up with boudreaux and thibodeaux? Their pireauxs seems to have drifted off course, unless I am missing something here.

I've been thinking about starting a blog, and will be consulting with schroeder, and, perhaps I should call B and T as well, if they aren't out afloat in their pireauxs. Valsavo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home