Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Google Moon



Happy Anniversary Apollo 11

As a total freakin' space nut when I was a kid, I always wanted to be an astronaut. I'm not old enough to remember Apollo 11 (although I was probably propped in front of someone's television ), but I remember the later Apollo missions.

So, I just discovered that if you right click on today's Google image of the moon, your taken to moon.google.com, where you can see the landing sites for the 6 lunar missions.

Shazaam!

P.S.: G'head...zoom in all the way...

2 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 02:06:00 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I thought it was supposed to be green cheese...

Alas, I'm old enough to remember this stuff (but pretty young back then)--when the first Moon crew came back I remember they looked like aliens themselves in the newspaper photo (because they were in biohazard suits).

Also recall seeing either genuine command modules, or more likely simulators of some kind near Norfolk NAS in Virginia (dad was a military officer). Couldn't get close to them, but we'd see them from the road as we passed by some sort of hanger-type building.

Thanks for posting this--and bringing back some OLD memories.

 
At 7/20/2005 02:41:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I remember watching one of the moonshots in class, and later, when we went out onto the playground in the bright noon sun, we created the stupidest little ruckus over what looked like the image of a tiny martian seared into the faded blacktop. In retrospect, it was probably a rubber stamp another kid printed on the playground, but we were kids, and my imagination was perhaps a little more open to the power of suggestion than most. I think another word for that is gullible, but it's one of those childhood memories that will forever be seared into my mind like it was yesterday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home