Wednesday, July 20, 2005

James Doohan, RIP



James Doohan, aka "Scottie" from the original (and best) Star Trek series, passed away in Washington State. He suffered from pneumonia and Alzheimers. He was 85 years old.

Listen to the NPR remembrance where he can be heard to say in his thick brogue, once again griping that the engines cahn't take it:

I cahn't change the laws of physics Captain!

I'm sad to say, of course, that's true. James Doohan, like the rest of us, was a mere mortal. But he is now truly venturing forth where no man has gone before!

Godspeed! Er...maybe I should be saying "warp speed!"

7 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 06:39:00 PM, Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

Even though we (I'm assuming about you) never knew them other than their characters on Star Trek, it was very sad when DeForest Kelley died and is now with the death of James Doohan.

We have something in common after all.

 
At 7/21/2005 12:40:00 AM, Blogger The Author said...

It's sad, and I hate wondering, but who's next?

 
At 7/21/2005 12:45:00 AM, Blogger The Author said...

Don't know if you saw this (it didn't get much press) but the inventor of the TV dinner just died too.

 
At 7/21/2005 04:32:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Whuh...? I shall never again enjoy a Salisbury steak without shedding a wee little tear.

Of course, you know what William Shatner's dying words will be:

"Beam me up Scottie."

 
At 7/21/2005 04:44:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I have to say, whatever sentimentality I had on hearing about Doohan's death drained right out of me after I heard that, at 85, he left behind a four-year old daughter.

 
At 7/21/2005 06:19:00 AM, Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

Very funny about Shatner's last words.

What are the circumstances of Doohan having such a young daughter. If he was suffering from alzheimer's, it sounds like some woman might have been taking advantage of his condition.

 
At 7/21/2005 08:06:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I don't know the circumstances gnat. I heard the story about a daughter on the local news, and, as is always the case when watching local news, the context was totally ripped out of the story - probably to make way for some 5-minute feel-good crap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home