Tuesday, August 30, 2005

When and how to return?

National coverage of the devastation in New Orleans sucks! Why they don't put some locals on the story totally escapes me.

How about some aerials of other parts of the city than New Orleans east and the CBD? And, by the way, when they do put up those few rapid aerial pans of neighborhoods, how about some locals to say what the neighborhoods are?

What the national press doesn't understand is that, notwithwithstanding the devastating floods in New Orleans East, that's not the whole picture. It may be the most sensationalist, but the one-foot floods elsewhere around the city - hell, that's like a biennial event. If it isn't over your hubcaps, and it isn't in your house, it's no big deal. In no way do I mean to diminish the horrible tragedy residents in New Orleans East are confronting - horrible! But for the grace of god there go I. I'm just saying, others MAY have something to look forward to, and want news to confirm that.

On that note, does anyone know if any routes are open now, or will open soon, into the city?

I waited out the storm in Pensacola, but even here, the outer bands of Katrina knocked out power to most of the city. There hasn't been much phone communication, and cell phones are worthless. This is actually the first time I've had access to power, a phone line, and a computer.

Thus far, I can only confirm that the twin span by Slidell is blown out.

Is there anything else we should know?

1 Comments:

At 8/30/2005 07:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

live local feed here.

I'm glad you are okay! It sounds bad, Schroeder. Really bad. I'm so glad you and yours are safe.

Mixter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home