Monday, March 27, 2006

Time for Hughes and Maestri to step down

Scanning through the first few paragraphs this morning, I didn't see this shocking detail until later:

Maestri said he asked 10 police officers in plain clothes -- many of them members of St. Peter Claver -- to attend Mass on Sunday in order to "make sure we had taken precautions in case things got out of hand." ...

[Parishioner Sandra Gordon] said, "one of them got up during the Mass and pulled his jacket back and I told my husband, 'Oh my God. He's got a gun.'"

Are they out of their freakin' minds? The Catholic Church recruiting armed guards to deliver a mass? What did they think was going to happen? How ridiculous!

I'd say Archbishop Hughes and the archdiocese's spokesperson ubercommandant, Walter Maestri, are a little out of touch lately (okay, not just lately).

Maybe if they had an actual dialog, instead of forcing an eviction, they wouldn't worry for their safety ... Maybe if they had a little more compassion ... Maybe if they acted a little more ... ah ... Christian?

1 Comments:

At 3/28/2006 11:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my wife pointed out while watching the news last night, "They want dialog? It's called Protestantism."

(My wife is Catholic.)

This whole debacle is egregious, but I thought that comment was amusing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home