Saturday, May 06, 2006

Katrina timeline

The woman who cut my hair a couple of days ago slammed Governor Blanco for not doing anything after President Bush declared a State of Emergency two days before Hurricane Katrina. So "what was he supposed to do?," she whined.

I'm sick of this crap, but there's no changing the views of people who have been trained to blindly obey authority.

Governor Blanco might be criticized for many things, but on this issue, she did her job quickly, decisively, and assertively.

Once again, in an attempt to defend their emperor, the misinformed right-wing "get behind the president" chatter has created a false impression of Governor Blanco's actions.

In actual fact, Governor Blanco declared a state of emergency well ahead of Hurricane Katrina, on Friday, August 26, and placed the Louisiana National Guard on full alert:

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today issued Proclamation No. 48 KBB 2005, declaring a State of Emergency for the state Louisiana as Hurricane Katrina poses an imminent threat, carrying severe storms, high winds, and torrential rain that may cause flooding and damage to private property and public facilities, and threaten the safety and security of the citizens of the state of Louisiana The state of emergency extends from Friday, August 26, 2005, through Sunday, September 25, 2005, unless terminated sooner.

Only after Governor Blanco's urging on Saturday did President Bush declare a federal State of Emergency in Louisiana from his vacation ranch in Crawford, where, two days earlier, the president defended his month-long vacation:
"I think the people want the president to be in a position to make good, crisp decisions and to stay healthy, and part of my being is to be outside exercising. So I'm mindful of what goes on around me. On the other hand, I'm also mindful that I've got a life to live, and will do so."

On Monday, after the White House was informed of water gushing through levee breaches, President Bush was continuing his vacation, taking time to share birthday cake with Senator John McCain:



Here are links to sites which have attempted to clarify the timeline before and after Hurricane Katrina:

I'm not getting my hair cut at that place anymore.

2 Comments:

At 5/07/2006 10:04:00 AM, Blogger The Author said...

Good set of links. Thanks.

 
At 5/07/2006 07:01:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I wish I could get my hair stylist to open up her mind a little bit. She must be in that 1/3 of the population who still have "W" stickers on their cars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home