Thursday, August 24, 2006

Only in post-Katrina New Orleans

I'm gathering ideas for another post. Until that comes together, I keep meaning to tell a funny story about something that could only happen in post-Katrina New Orleans.

At Saturday's Geek Dinner, Big Easy Roller Girl Smasher and I were looking for the bathroom in Loki's gutted house on Claiborne Avenue. We were told that it was in the FEMA trailer (of course) in front of the house.

Not having been given the home tour earlier in the evening, we hadn't been inside the trailer. Because we were a little disoriented by the cluster of cars, randomly-placed trailers, foliage and debris (I guess) we walked toward the first readily available trailer. I walked up the stairs and tried the door, but it was locked. I thought that was odd. I saw a shadowy figure inside the frosted window pull aside the curtain and say something incomprehensible. I kind of gestured to the person inside to let us in, but the door remained locked. That's when I turned my head to see the other FEMA trailer parked directly in front of Loki's house.

Whoops!

Sorry Loki's neighbors!

Only in New Orleans would people have to contend with strangers at a neighbor's party trying to get into their FEMA trailer to use the bathroom!

Tags: | | | | | | | | Katrina Dissidents | Failure Is Not An Option

5 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 11:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. You forgot to mention "The Pony Trainer."

Smasher

 
At 8/24/2006 02:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well dang, I can't believe they didn't invite you in, or come on out and join you! Those must not have really been New Orleanians.

 
At 8/24/2006 04:01:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Ha! Maybe I should have offered them a plate of food and a beverage.

You're right Smasher, I forgot about that particular pleasure. I'm sure you're storing up memories of these little memories for that future occasion when you aren't a gimp anymore.

 
At 8/24/2006 07:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes, Schroeder. I somehow stumbled into the right FEMA trailer. When I cracked the door Alexis and Adair were there cooling off.

 
At 8/24/2006 07:42:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I'm truly embarrassed, but it was an honest mistake. I'm still equally amused by the incredible uniqueness of the situation -- obviously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home