Thursday, November 02, 2006

How does your Blogger blow?

I'm testing out WordPress, trying to decide if I'll permanently migrate People Get Ready. WordPress imported all of my Blogger posts remarkably efficiently. It took about two minutes to step through the import wizard. After that, WordPress churned through a year and a half of posts for about an hour. When it was all over, I discovered that the formatting was altered in Blogger, and that Blogger blocks it's images from being displayed outside of Blogger. That last detail alone pisses me off enough to want to switch, but I may be wedded to Blogger if I don't want to redo all the images on WordPress.

Why am I thinking about switching? I'm getting pretty fed up with delays caused by problems like these:







11/03/06 update:



It appears that WordPress may not be as robust as I might wish. I'm also experiencing slow page loads, just as I have seen in Blogger.

13 Comments:

At 11/02/2006 09:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just started blogging and the only reason I made the jump was because of the relative ease of Wordpress. Blogger just has an AOLy feel to me. I just didn't think I had enough control. Guess I'm a control freak. Then a friend turned me on th Wordpress and I really liked.

Anyway, I recommend the jump. It's fun and easy.

 
At 11/02/2006 09:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hon, Alan got me to switch from Blogger to WordPress months ago. Much easier to use and much less down periods.

 
At 11/03/2006 03:53:00 AM, Blogger Donnie McDaniel said...

I might have to take a look into wordpress. Blogger has really been crazy lately.

 
At 11/03/2006 07:01:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

The *do* like the fact that you can edit the CSS in Blogger without paying a subscription, but I'm thinking now that it's worth it. I still may not make the switch because I want to have an archive out there, but I don't want to have to edit all the image.

 
At 11/03/2006 08:09:00 AM, Blogger jeffrey said...

Wordpress doesn't allow you to edit the CSS template. Kind of a dealbreaker

 
At 11/03/2006 08:09:00 AM, Blogger jeffrey said...

Wordpress doesn't allow you to edit the CSS template. Kind of a dealbreaker

 
At 11/03/2006 08:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go here New Orleans and 'digg' this story to help keep the country focused on issues that they are all too happy to hide from or forget about.

 
At 11/03/2006 09:29:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

I'm still testing, but I have to say, I may not be seeing errors on WordPress, but I am still seeing the kinds of slow page loads that I have seen in Blogger.

 
At 11/03/2006 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pay for typepad, but that includes the hosting, and comparatively speaking of uptime, it's like comparing a VMS cluster to Windows 3.1.

 
At 11/03/2006 12:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't seem to post to your other site?

 
At 11/03/2006 02:25:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

anonymous -- you should be able to post to the WP site. It's set up to take anonymous comments.

 
At 11/03/2006 05:09:00 PM, Blogger Kirsten Corby said...

WordPress has some cool features, but I'm not a power user, so Blogger is Ok by me. For now.

Thanks for commenting on my blog, by the way!

 
At 11/04/2006 08:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I do is just pay for some web space and upload the software onto that. It's my server so the page loads are never a problem. Costs about 10 bucks a month plus I get my own e-mail addys and I can edit any of the files I want. I also have webspace to upload music and video If I want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home