Saturday, December 10, 2005

Demonstration today! Saturday, Jackson Square, noon

I don't know anything about it -- my neighbors just said they heard that there will be a demonstration today at noon in Jackson Square.

I can't make any promises about what's going to happen, but I am damn sure going to show up and scream as loud as I can that Louisiana should not be forgotten, that we need a commitment immediately for Category 5 storm protection, and financial support to help residents rebuild their homes and lives.

We need to make the strongest, loudest statement possible!

I'm bringing card stock and a marker to make signs.

See you there!

Today, Saturday 12/10
Jackson Square

12/10/05 update: Ahhh ... screw it. The usual suspects: grungy freaks, drum circles, Free Mumia Abu-Jamal protesters, Black Panthers, blah blah blah. My very sincere apologies to anyone who went down to Jackson Square. As it happens, the demonstration was in Armstrong Park. No matter -- notwithstanding the isolation of Armstrong Park, with that crowd, the demonstration was completely invisible anyway. Why can't we have a demonstration with a sizeable contingent of respectable people who are taken seriously. I don't have any problem with extreme counter-culture -- I'm all for it, under different circumstances. Nothing wrong with a drum circle -- except when you want the get the attention of the mainstream population. It's the extreme left wing corollary to a neo-fascist rally. A big waste of time. I'm sorry if I got drew anyone into it.

2 Comments:

At 12/11/2005 12:44:00 PM, Blogger djpoptart said...

how was the protest?

 
At 12/12/2005 07:05:00 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I'm sorry I didn't at least make an attempt to show--but I've got a fair bit on my plate right now.

And sorry the demo didn't light a fire.

Wonder if something with more advance publicity might turn out different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home