Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Do you know what it means?

Mark from Wet Bank Guide knows ...

I said, “I want to move back to New Orleans.” I expected her to spit wine all over herself in convulsive laughter. Instead, she gave me a long look, and calmly said, “Yes”. Only last week, when she had been offered and accepted a job, did she tell me why.

In September, a New Orleans jazz group--the Troy Davis Quartet--came to Fargo for a Red Cross fundraiser for Katrina relief. Late in the show, the band played "Do You Know What It Means, To Miss New Orleans”, and trumpeter Mark Braud quietly wept between verses.

That was something in that moment, she tells me, when she understood.

2 Comments:

At 1/25/2006 11:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've moved around a lot over the years, but I always come back to New Orleans. I can't even come close to pinpointing any particular reason why, except to say that it's "home".

I've known many others who didn't grow up in the areas but who move in and somehow they just "get it". And there are others who fall in love with her charms, but only for a few years when they decide they just can't take it anymore and leave. Even those folks hold many fond memories of her, though. There's definitely something inexplicable about New Orleans to have caught so many people in her embrace, irregardless of race, creed or color despite some of the surface impressions that might suggest otherwise.

Now if only we could really figure out exactly what it is...

Thanks for sharing that.

 
At 1/25/2006 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Maverick said...

You know, UNO NEVER got back to me about my graduate application! I'm kinda PO'd about that. They could at least have said something. But, nothing? Hrmph. Guess I'm stuck in frickin' B.R.

Do DO Do DO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home