Wednesday, March 29, 2006

New Orleans' shifting radio market

New Orleans has been granted a Nielsen ratings reprieve for now, but once ratings return to a city with less than half its original population, some stations may not survive. It's exciting, because stations are now trying to reposition themselves for a changing market.

I don't know if either of these stations existed before, but I encourage people to listen in.

The Rajun Cajun, KLRZ Larose, 100.3 plays mostly zydeco with a sprinkling of country. I became fascinated with the station last week when, before 6 AM (I think), I heard them broadcasting a Catholic mass in cajun french -- my God, what a concept!!! It's amazing! This is what radio ought to be.

New Orleans Martini, 106.1 -- okay, it's a really stupid station name, but I heard them play Pete Fountain this morning! Can you imagine? What? A *New Orleans* radio station actually playing *New Orleans* music? What a revolutionary idea!!!

5 Comments:

At 3/29/2006 09:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does WWOZ play? Spitballs?

 
At 3/29/2006 09:52:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Ahem ... smart alec -- it goes without saying that WWOZ, the Jazz and Heritage Festival station (which, by the way, whores itself for Australian wine merchants), *is* the best station anywhere for New Orleans music of a particular type.

The post had more to do with the changing landscape of *commercial* radio.

 
At 3/29/2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Well Tara, this past Saturday morning, just before 8:00, I was shocked to hear cheezy reviews of Australian wines accompanied by equally cheezy music. It seems WWOZ sold its airwaves to promote Australian wines -- a unique interpretation of its responsibility to serve and educate the community. I guess the Jazz and Heritage Festival isn't making enough money for them.

 
At 3/29/2006 03:56:00 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Schroeder,
KLRZ has been around for a while,at least four years or so, but they were always really small, and seemed more inclined to broadcast high school football games.
there used to be a really great station in jennings that did a net cast that was completely in French, but I think they've fallen by the wayside.

I've been pretty much addicted to WWOZ lately, though I cant really stand their bluegrass show, probably because I hear it all the time up here(I could take you into downtown Charlotte and show you where Bill Monroe did his first recordings), but I'll have to try Martini 106

 
At 3/30/2006 09:20:00 PM, Blogger djpoptart said...

i love the rajun cajun!!!

you should hear them segueway from the lord's prayer in french into a hyperceremonial take of the star-spangled banner.


we live in a wonderful radio market.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home