Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Who's in charge?

George W. Bush displayed his complete ignorance and incompetence as the President of the United States when, at a Q&A on Monday, he blundered through a totally unsatisfactory bullshit response to a critical question on torture under private contractors -- a question for which he should already have a ready response (full transcript/full video/audio clip).

Q Thank you, Mr. President. It's an honor to have you here. I'm a first-year student in South Asia studies. My question is in regards to private military contractors. Uniform Code of Military Justice does not apply to these contractors in Iraq. I asked your Secretary of Defense a couple months ago what law governs their actions.

THE PRESIDENT: I was going to ask him. Go ahead. (Laughter.) Help. (Laughter.)

Q I was hoping your answer might be a little more specific. (Laughter.) Mr. Rumsfeld answered that Iraq has its own domestic laws which he assumed applied to those private military contractors. However, Iraq is clearly not currently capable of enforcing its laws, much less against -- over our American military contractors. I would submit to you that in this case, this is one case that privatization is not a solution. And, Mr. President, how do you propose to bring private military contractors under a system of law?

THE PRESIDENT: I appreciate that very much. I wasn't kidding -- (laughter.) I was going to -- I pick up the phone and say, Mr. Secretary, I've got an interesting question. (Laughter.) This is what delegation -- I don't mean to be dodging the question, although it's kind of convenient in this case, but never -- (laughter.) I really will -- I'm going to call the Secretary and say you brought up a very valid question, and what are we doing about it? That's how I work. I'm -- thanks. (Laughter.)

2 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 01:15:00 AM, Blogger Ian McGibboney said...

Man, if I answered questions like that in high school, I wouldn't have graduated. But I probably would have had a better chance of becoming president.

 
At 4/12/2006 07:58:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Thanks for the heads up Tara.

I am aware -- I just haven't stopped to put together my bead package, which, when complete, I was going to post the photo and link to beads for Bush.

Let's see ... hmm ... do I send my prized Krewe du Vieux beads from last year which have a naked couple dangling from them ... perhaps posing in a manner which might cause a president's impeachment?

Do you remember how indignant Bush would get in 2000 when he was stumping about how he was going to restore "respect" to the White House?

Yeah, right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home