Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"My dad hates Allstate!"

I've got another local blogger to add to your blogroll folks (thanks Lisa):

I'm tired of seeing and hearing and smelling and experiencing signs of devastation every single hour of every single day. I'm tired of not being able to rely on mail delivery or phone or electricity. I'm tired of waiting on my government representatives to come up with a plan. I'm tired of grandstanding asshole politicians who claim that if Katrina happened in their part of the country, people would pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get on with their lives and not depend on government handouts. I'm tired of worrying about the strength of the levees. I'm tired of increased violent crime, and seeing armed national guard troops patrol the streets. I'm also tired of meetings. I've gotten pretty politically active in my Mid-City neighborhood to make sure that we residents have a say in the way that our neighborhood is rebuilt. But that means I don't get to see my children as often as I would like, or just relax. And furthermore, I often lose all perspective of what constitutes "normal." I've acclimated to living in a wasteland of a city. I temporarily regain perspective when outsiders visit. As I take them on the grim tour, their facial expressions of astonishment alone remind me that what happened in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast is awesome, unprecedented, abnormal and damn depressing. But instead of going on and on about how little and how much has happened in the past 10 months, I want to share with you what my life is like in New Orleans these days through three pictures.

Yep -- you have to go there to see the pictures. You won't be disappointed! It's good to see a Dad bringing his kid up right in the world!

Tags:  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | 

2 Comments:

At 7/11/2006 06:48:00 AM, Blogger Anthony Fazzio said...

Your Dad's smart!

 
At 7/11/2006 09:05:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Not my dad, Michael Homan's son's dad. Now there's a convoluted familial reference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home