Tuesday, January 10, 2006

This ex-Yat knows what it means

dimsum dreams (excerpted):

I have lived in many parts of the country, and I can say from personal experience, y’all are pretty much all the same whether you want to believe it or not. A Los Angelian is not all that different from a Chicagoan, controversial I’m sure, but true: the food may be a little blander here or there, the accent a little harsher, but the basic lifestyle is the same. Being from New Orleans is like being in another ethnic group, no matter the color of your skin, we are all creole. In the 80’s and 90’s frat boys “discovered” Mardi Gras and brought back their stories of how “Dude, you can get to go cups of beer!” or “Chicks’ll flash you!”. As they “grew up”, they even managed to get Mardi Gras paraphernalia in their suburban bars and Applebee’s and grocery stores and became armchair Yats. It always made me pissed when it would come up in conversation where I was from and almost always the response was “I LOVE Mardi Gras”… fuck off. I wasn’t so much surprised that Joe Average just sat around bemoaning the loss of his beloved street party as I was by the callousness that most Americans showed towards those who, for whatever reason, had to stay behind. I am still angry, my mother is still angry, all of us ex-Yats are still angry. You want your “cajun” food and your crawfish boils, you want your zydeco (we call it Jazz) music and your Mardi Gras and your JazzFest, but you don’t care.

5 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly. Unfortunately, the only ones that get it are those that lived here. Not those that brag about getting drunk on Bourbon St, like our frat boy president

 
At 1/10/2006 12:58:00 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Thank you for linking to me! I'm so... well... flattered!

Another thing that concerns me, and this is big picture stuff here... is the continuation of NO's dependence on tourism as its sole enterprise. This city has been dying for years and it's been slowly turning into an amusement park for the wealthy for awhile. It's really sickening to watch.

By the way, great blog! Thank you for saying what you've been saying.

 
At 1/10/2006 02:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post.

I'm back, btw.

Mixter

 
At 1/11/2006 03:14:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Too true, too true.
I try to make it a point when I meet up with those people (that you inevitably meet up with) who say that God is somehow punishing New orleans, that it is actually the tourists who are acting like imbeciles, getting arrested on "Cops", not the locals. I try to educate them as to why Bush failed, and why some of the people couldnt evacuate. It's so easy to get angry, but name calling does nothing to educate. That is our job, here on these blogs,and I applaud and support anyone who continually speaks out for the people of New Orleans, Louisiana and Mississippi.

My family is from Louisiana,mostly Baton Rouge and Washington Parish, & when my wife and I got married,
we honeymooned in N.O. At the time,my Brother in Law worked for NOCCA and he took us around town, showed us his favorite things. We ate at Jack Dempseys,5 Happiness, Bozos and Irenes, and we felt that we would always have New Orleans in our hearts. Visit after visit over the years did nothing but temper that bond, and as we sat watching the people beg for food and water on TV, we cried because it was like part of us was dying.

I told my wife that even today, all she has to do is say the word and our house is on the market and I'd happily move to Louisiana.

God bless all of you who carry on the fight.

 
At 1/11/2006 10:05:00 AM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Tim, you're living proof that you can take the Yat out of New Orleans, but you can never take the Yat out of a New Orleanian. Thanks for promoting the image of New Orleans that her residents share (and that I wish our elected representatives would promote).

Nice to have you back Mixter -- and I have to say congratulations on your graduation -- I keep meaning to send an email, but if I wait another day, it may never happen. So, congratulations! Sorry I couldn't visit while I was up north.

Steve, the city has a way of getting under a person's skin, doesn't it. I hated the city when I first moved here fifteen years ago, but the more it bugs you, the more you itch it, and the more you itch it, the more you itch ... ah, yeah, I can't believe that just came out of my cobwebbed brain, but maybe you can make some sense of it.

Ashley, same thing I said to Mixter -- congratulations on your new son. I keep meaning to send you a celebratory greeting, but I'm kind of mired right now under a load of crap. You must be proud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home