Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Fleur-de-lis

My brother and his wife are about to have their first baby, so my sister organized a family quilt project.

My family doesn't live in Louisiana, but it didn't take me more than split second before I knew what I was going to do.



The instructions were that each square should be accompanied by a message written on a card:

Dear nephew,

The fleur-de-lis has been used by kings and Christians since at least the 12th Century. It symbolizes life, light, and a striving for perfection. May these qualities be a few of the guiding principles by which you measure your success in life.

I think a time will come when my nephew will understand why I chose to contribute a fleur-de-lis to his quilt at this particular time in my life, and I think he'll then want to know more about New Orleans.

As an aside, in my search for a design, I found a fascinating Web site listing various fleur-de-lis flag designs used throughout the world, and throughout history.

3 Comments:

At 2/14/2006 10:53:00 PM, Blogger The Author said...

Pretty. Side note: years ago, my grandmother in Laurel, Mississippi, had a fleur-de-lis border put on the walls of my mother's old room. Apparently, the guy she hired wasn't familiar with the fleur-de-lis and put it upside down. My grandmother felt so bad for him that she didn't ask him to redo it.

 
At 2/15/2006 03:57:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Clio said...

Beautiful, except that the purple and gold color might lead people to LSUish conclusions. Get some Tulane Green in there to prevent confusion.

Seriously, though, beautiful thought.

 
At 2/16/2006 07:34:00 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Coole deal Schroeder! I went to the Charlotte Observers offices, and purchased copies of all the papers from August 28th on thru for my two sons; theyre only two and four now, but one day this hopefully will mean something to them. It's their history,Louisiana is where their family is from, and this is where their family still lives (aside from us and their grandparents).

Actually,my Mom started this for me, and I've just continued on. I've got the papers from Desert storm, 9/11, anything major, and I had them shrink wrapped and sealed them in a box, kind of like a "time capsule".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home