Monday, September 18, 2006

Photos: Big Easy Roller Girls first bout



They sold out. Good job girls!

Being one familiar with how failure can plague volunteer organizations, I was crossing my fingers that they'd get through whatever difficulty might come up -- while they were trying to compete and provide entertainment. On top of that, I have no desire to fall on a cement floor -- even with protective gear. That's just too hard a fall.

I admire that fighting attitude (wrapped around big hearts), but I worry about them getting hurt. Despite my worries, the first Big Easy Roller Girl bout was pulled off without a single glitch ... oh ... okay, I suppose they could have had another bar setup, but that's a good sign.

The excitement opened up with the girls doing warm-up laps around the rink to "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult. It seemed an odd choice at first, but sounded fresh on the powerful sound system, and induced flashbacks to another era -- exactly what was called for. The crowd roared for either The 'Aints, or the Hor-Nots, depending upon who they knew. I was truly excited to see those jammers speed, nudge, and shove their way through the pack. Yeah, Cherry Pi was put in the penalty box, but when she did, it was for delivering a really gratifying good hit. And I did have the privilege of seeing a couple of the girls change their panties.

IMHO, it was one of the best things to happen in New Orleans to raise people's spirits since Mardi Gras for locals happened earlier this year. I fell in love with a couple dozen roller derby queens on Saturday night.

Roller derby is even more exciting than Reggie Bush defending the fleur de lis from The Pack.


Photo: Susan Poag/Times-Picayune.

Related:

Sherri - How 'BOUT that! (first-hand BERG account)

the_velvet_rut -- Sophie Nuke 'Em (video)

Ghost photos

Maitri photos

Michael Homan photos

Michael Homan -- The Decline of Fema Trailer Sewage Pipes

b.rox -- Roller Girls

6 Comments:

At 9/18/2006 10:31:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! No bitch slapping allowed! They'd have a hard time hangin' around our l'il corner of the world wide web!

Seriously, I am very certain that you guys in New Orleans have lots more fun than the rest of us (when you're not gutting houses). That sounds/looks like a complete blast.

 
At 9/18/2006 12:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am slightly disappointed (okay, GRAVELY disappointed)that there are no pictures of you looking quite comely in your fetching BERG shirt. I hope this atrocious oversight will be rectified by the next bout. I mean, come on, what kind of blogspot are you running?

 
At 9/18/2006 07:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't argue with the Roller Girls being up there with Reggie, but I cannot say they surpass Reggie.

When I see the Roller Girls practicing in Audubon, I am energized.

BUT The RollerGirls CANNOT beat the Falcons.

I wish they could.

I bet RollerGirls season tickets are much more reasonable as well.

They were impresssive in the display at Dirty Linen Night.

 
At 9/18/2006 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Schroeder said...

Believe me sophmom, there was a price to pay at Sunday gutting for the fun played at Saturday derby.

Anonymous, you know you can see me wearing my fetching BERG shirt anytime you like.

I'd love to see the Falcons on skates, Berto. They probably put themselves in the emergency room -- no help from the Roller Girls required.

 
At 9/19/2006 04:16:00 AM, Blogger Ray said...

"but I cannot say they surpass Reggie."

Berto, you clearly have never seen the shorts that Little Mascara wears.

 
At 9/20/2006 06:30:00 AM, Blogger djpoptart said...

Or Sophie Nuke'Em (No. 1886) in her ponytails and glasses.

Live Action Video!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home